KENYA: Cardinal Njue Flags off Relief Food to Northern Kenya
NAIROBI MARCH 17, 2017 (CISA)-John Cardinal Njue on March 17 flagged off food donations from the Archdiocese of Nairobi to drought-stricken Isiolo and Marsabit Dioceses.
“The decision to mobilise food from our parishes came about from the realisation that nearly half of the counties in Kenya are adversely affected by drought with millions of people facing starvation and in desperate need for food and water,” the archbishop of the Catholic Diocese of Nairobi said.
The donations weighing 80 tonnes and valued at KShs 8 Million are contributions received from the 111 parishes within the Archdiocese of Nairobi.
“We are very impressed that after the appeal Christians in the Archdiocese of Nairobi, food and non-food items amounting to 80 tonnes have been contributed within the last month. The monetary value of all donated items stands at about Kshs 8 million. Along with the donations in kind, funds amounting to Kshs 1.7 million have also been received. Additionally some donations have been dispatched directly to East Pokot in the Diocese of Nakuru,” he said.
He noted that 23 out of 47 counties in Kenya are affected by the current drought crisis with the worst affected being Garissa, Isiolo, Mombasa, Malindi, Marsabit, Maralal, Lodwar, Nakuru and Kitale.
He called upon individuals and institutions to play their part in assisting the people in those areas.
“I extend my appeal to Christians and people of goodwill to join hands in solidarity with the church and our brothers and sisters in Kenya and continue donating food and non-food items to save lives. The true meaning of loving your neighbour is extending a hand of support,” he said.
According to Sr Mary Mbaci, Director, Caritas Nairobi, the donations to the Catholic Diocese of Isiolo is expected to reach the St Eusebius Cathedral today to be received by Bishop Anthony Ireri Mukobo, while the truck heading to Marsabit is expected to arrive tomorrow March 18 at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Consolata to be received by Bishop Peter Kihara.
Director Caritas Kenya Mr. Stephen Kituku on behalf of KCCB thanked the faithful for taking up the challenge and called upon all dioceses to continue responding to the calls to support affected people.
The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops made an appeal on February 7 to all Kenyans of good will to help those who are affected by the drought and urged the government to declare the drought a national disaster.
On February 10, President Uhuru Kenyatta declared the ongoing drought a national disaster and appealed for international aid.
The call for aid was picked up by dioceses across the country that through their Caritas offices, have been able to donate to their needy counterparts.